Friday, January 14, 2011

2011...The Year of Fearlessness!



How often do you keep yourself from trying something new or slightly uncomfortable because you are afraid you'll fail? Have you ever looked on the flip side of that coin? What happens if try and you succeed? Think about it!

I read an article lately that talks about making 2011 the year of FEARLESSNESS. Check it out!
I read the article twice and I thought how true is that. We need to put ourselves out there or else we'll never see our goals come to fruition. We'll never see our dreams come true. What's the point of dreaming if you are afraid of your own dreams?

Well, my New Year's blog was a promise to myself and everyone else that I'm taking more risks this year because my goals and dreams not only mean the world to me but they shape and affect other people's lives as well.

In the few short weeks of 2011 I have already accomplished so much and not only have I accomplished so much but I have close friends that are just going for gold. My friend, Mim, has started an amazing company that every performer in the NYC area should consider using. Her new business SILVER VOICE NYC. It's a full service recording service for vocalist and musicians in the NYC area. Check her site out because I have recorded with Mim in the past and I know I'll be working with her again in the near future.

Another friend of mine needed to find a way to help contribute to her family income after being laid off over nine months ago. Recently, she has joined the Scentsy company. If you don't know what Scentsy is...YOU MUS CHECK IT OUT. It's flameless candles using amazingly scented parafin heated by a small lightbulb. Heidi Leigh started Scentsy right before the holidays and has already grown her Scentsy company by leaps and bounds. Please visit her page: Heidi's Scentsy Page.




My friend Tracy took a huge risk by leaving a job that was causing her to be unhappy and strapped and she didn't have another job lined up. This is commendable. She moved back to PA after many years of living in North Carolina and Tennessee to reconnect to what it is she loves to do and to be closer to her family. I know it's very hard to leave a job that leaves you with anxiety issues and stomach aches because you hate it so much. So I am proud that Tracy just made the leap. I am happy to report it took Tracy less than a month to find a job here in PA. So congrats, Tracy!

For me, my 2011 accomplishments have been small but very powerful. I have met my first weight loss goal of 2011. 15lbs GONE and it ain't coming back!!!! I'm on week 5 of my C25K after having to take a six week break due to my involvement with 'A Sleepy Hollow Christmas Carol.' I'm already planning my first 5K in the Spring. My next goal is another 10lbs. I am finding it easier to stick to my healthy living plan when my goals aren't so overwhelming. I have been dedicated to creating healthy meals 4 to 5 times a day for my husband and me. We have enjoyed several under 500 calorie meals with super high flavor and really satisfying. We were laughing one day when I presented the plate to my husband who saw very little on the plate. He was thinking I'm going to have to make a 2nd meal because there is no food on this plate. But my healthy meal proved him wrong. When we finished the meal he was surprised at how full he was. Controlling the portions with the right foods makes a world of difference. Because of these new low calorie filling meals we even can treat ourselves to a dessert every now and then. And if you are anything like me...chocolate is just heaven. I enjoy eating the appropriate portion of chocolate cake and 1/2 cup of cold skim milk to end my night. And I should add...I'm still left most night with extra calories. I don't feel the need to use them and therefore I see the results on the scale and in the clothes that are now falling off me. Yahooey!

I have a friend from my high school days that is on this new Vegan cleanse. Now, I'm not sure I can ever go vegan but some of the recipes she has posted look and sound so delish! There is one I'm gearing up to make for myself. It has sweet potatoes, green apples, walnuts, cinnamon, and agave. Yuummmmm-O! Magda and another high school friend, Marjorie are two of the people that inspired me to start running and with the running the healthy eating. The two of them have accomplished so many of their own fitness and health goals and it just snowballs.

Now, I've met challenges in 2011 already, too. Our cat, Max, became really ill on the 9th. His appetite wasn't there, he was vomiting, his stool had blood, and he was just not the crazy Max we knew. For my Mom friends out there you know what it's like to watch your babies go through an illness. Well, I don't have children (yet) so my kitties are my kids. And I know Moms would do anything to make sure their kids felt better. Well, that's how it is for pet owners too. They can't talk or point to where it hurts. For four days it was heart wrenching to watch Max go through that. We made three visits to the vet in two days. I prayed and kept my positive thinking going. Our vet, Dr. Kara Ballek is AMAZING! She was so good with Max and delivered the good news I've been praying for yesterday. All of Max's test were normal/negative. What does that mean? He had a case of the stomach ickies probably due to his constipation. I'm proud to report that Max is bounding down the stairs again, eating up a storm, bullying his furry sister, Samara, and pooping again! What a relief. After losing our Tita in the spring of 2009, we just found a way to make sure Max was taken care of. Sometimes you just have to make it work. Finances may be tight but if you are going to be a pet owner I urge you to make sure you have the resources to take care of your pets when they are sick. Mike and I may not be able to go out for date nights the next month but we know Max is ok and that is well worth it!



Another amazing thing that has happened it I'll be workshopping a new musical in NYC in February. The Legend of Johnny 15 is a crazy rock/R&B musical written by the Serious Theater Collective. I'll be playing to Narrator and the voice of the scanner. What does that mean? Well, I'm not sure but I'll let you all know after my first rehearsal January 31st.

I think the most amazing thing that has happened is my new business. I've been working really hard on the logistics and services this business would cover. So I'd like to introduce to everyone:




It's a birthday service PERFECT for me. My services inclu
de going to the home to provide entertainment, fun, and games for children. Why Star of the Day? Well, part of the unique experience is it's not me putting on the play by myself for the kids at the party but the birthday boy/girl will be the STAR of the show! I'll offer theater games, basic movement and song, and then it'll finish with a short play based on the interest of and starring the birthday boy/girl. How cool is that? I know as a kid, I would have had this as my birthday every year! If you want more information just drop me a line! I guarantee fun for all and an unforgettable one-of-a-kind experience for the birthday boy/girl. I'm still working on a website but if you want more information regarding pricing and services I do have that ready to go! I'm so excited!

So, three weeks into the New Year I've already conquered so much and I can't wait to see how much greater this year will be. Join me and the many others in being fearless.

Quote of the week: "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Video of the week:



Recipes of the week : That's right! TWO RECIPES THIS WEEK!!!

Garlic Terryaki Salmon and Warm Green Bean Salad (entire meal under 500 calories)

The Fish

You can really use any red fish like trout, salmon, snapper, etc.

Prep your oven at 350F

lightly salt and pepper each filet. In an oven-safe pan, pan sear the fish skin side up for 2 minutes. Make sure you spray the pan so it doesn't stick. Flip it to the skin side.

In a small bowl combine 1T honey, 2T terryaki sauce, 1t garlic (I buy the jars of minced garlic) Mix it all together and pour it over the fish.

Stick in the oven for 7 minutes. Take it out and pop a cover on it and let it rest for 1 minute or so. If you like your fish more rare, cook it in the oven for only 5 minutes with 1 minute to rest.

Warm Green Bean Salad

Frozen whole green beans I use 1 handful per person
1 baby red potato per person
1 shallot or 1/4 onion
1t minced garlic
1/2 slice turkey bacon per person.
1T soy sauce

Cut the bacon into minuscule pieces and crisp up. Set aside. Put potatoes in a Bowl and cover with water. Fork holes in them & microwave for 5 mins on high. When they are done dice into small cubes.

In the same pan u crisped the bacon in add just a tad of olive oil w/ garlic and shallots. Once they start to sweat add the bacon back with the potatoes. Toss them with everything and add s& p. Add the soy sauce, beans, and 1/4c water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.



Kirsten Rani Almeida received her B.A. in Theater and Speech from Wagner College. For twelve years, Kirsten doubled as a professional fundraiser for a large non-profit arts organization and an actor, director, choreographer, and playwright. She has performed in more than forty shows all over the U.S. She spent four months touring the country with the Omaha Theater Company's production of 'The Little Engine that Could' as the Red Dress Doll. She performed nearly 80 performances in 36 states. In New York City, Kirsten was part of the cast for the award-winning 'Skin Deep' by Mary Lynn Dobson (Fringe Festival winner 2009) which has won top honors from the 2010 Samuel French Off-Off Broadway Short Play Festival and originated the role of Lavender Blue in the eerily funny 'Professor Von Awesome's Traveling Caravan of Cautionary Warnings.' Kirsten appeared in the U.S. premiere of 'Scandalous! A new musical based on the life of D.H. Lawrence' in New Orleans and appeared at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in the World Premiere musical 'The Butterfly Project' which raised money for children's cancer research. Other credits include Children of Eden (Mama Noah), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat(Narrator), Hello Dolly!(Minnie Fay), Beauty and the Beast(Silly Girl & Madame de la Grande Bouche), The Sound of Music(Mother Abbess), Annie(Star-to-Be), Oliver!(Widow Corney), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying(Rosemary), My Fair Lady(Featured Dancer), Promises, Promises!(Featured Dancer), Nunsense I & II(Sister Leo), Gypsy(Tessie Tura), Guys & Dolls(Featured Dancer), Back to the 80s(Debbie Cox), Seussical the Musical(Gertrude), Snoopy!(Sally Brown), Pippin(Featured dancer), Carousel, Godspell, Little Shop of Horrors(Chiffon), and many more.

In film/tv, Kirsten has appeared in the upcoming comedy 'Big Guns', 'Three Chris'', and filmed the independent short 'Westfield' with Clocktower Productions. She has also appeared in two episodes of 'The World's Most Astonishing News'.

She has also appeared as a guest artist with the Newark Boys Chorus and Triad Ensemble and the Spotlight Cabaret with Allentown Public Theater. She was a founding member of the Boonton Parks & Recreation Theatre Company for young performers where she not only directed and choreographed the shows for the company but also acted as lead fundraiser, costumer, lighting designer, marketing director as well as scenic and props designer. Kirsten also taught dance for the recreation department to children ages 7-12. Kirsten has also dabbled in play writing for children's theater. Her twisted version of "The Three Little Pigs" (a musical from the Big Bad Wolf's perspective) was produced at Playhouse 22 in East Brunswick, NJ.

Kirsten teaches drama classes at the Civic Theater in Allentown, PA to grades Pre-K through 4. Kirsten also offers an audition class to high school students which helps students audition confidently. Her effective teaching style is requested by groups in PA and NJ and NY.

She is also the owner and operator of 'Star of the Day' Event Productions. A one-of-a-kind full service birthday experience.


1 comment: