Monday, October 11, 2010

It ain't easy being green....

As in sick! :(

I have managed to fight off bronchitis for 3 years. I haven't had a bout since September 2007. The good thing is I know what it is and I know what helps it go away quicker...so consider it gone!

With the cough here, which is what I try to avoid at all costs, I will scale back on my singing and physical activities. I will make my big concoction of bronchitis remedy (shared with me by Alicia Picone). The remedy is for sore throats but it has such amazing ingredients that I make it anytime I have respiratory issues. And it works.

In a large pot, boil 6 cups of water with 6 chamomile citrus tea bags (DECAF ONLY) and slice up some ginger and toss that in. Let it boil for 10 minutes. remove from the heat and add 3 T honey and 4 lemon wedges. let it steep for 1/2 hour. Strain the concoction into a 2 qt pitcher. Drink it hot...drink it cold.

Chamomile is a natural anti-inflammatory. So when you have a sore throat due to coughing, etc. it really is great. It's also a mild sedative. So a cup of strong chamomile tea an hour before bed will help you relax and have a good night's sleep. I have a bag of organic chamomile flowers that I bought from the Reading Terminal Market in Philly while on tour. I love having it loose so I can control the strength I need when I need it.



Ginger helps eliminate chest congestion and the accumulation of mucus. By adding lemon and honey to this concoction and sipped while still hot, it becomes a natural expectorant.




Honey is a natural antibiotic and is packed with antioxidants. It's a no-brainer for a natural remedy for colds, flus, and respiratory problems involving mucus and such.




Lemon helps cure that nagging itchy throat you get when coughing all the time.



Within a few days, you'll feel much better and you can get back to your normal routine. Who wants to be out for the count when there is so much to do!?



This week I also discovered a new facial scrub. It's amazing. For years I have used Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask and more recently their Oatmeal n' Honey Facial Scrub. The facial scrub lasts FOREVER! I just finished using up the last of what I had which I bought last September. A little goes a LONG way! Trust me. When I went to replace it I couldn't find it anywhere!!! I was panicking. BUT, in the last store I stopped in I saw a new product ~ Pomegranate & Raspberry Natural Facial Scrub. All I have to say is AH-MAHZING! I have t-zone skin and 'pore' issues on my nose. This product promised to refine those pesky pores in the first use. Guess what? They delivered! The best part is it was $2.50. When I had that fancy job o' mine I used to pay ridiculous amounts of money for Lancome products (which don't get me wrong are GREAT!!!) but without the fancy job I could no longer afford Lancome. I needed to find an alternative. Someone recommended the Oatmeal n' Honey Scrub and I loved it. But I think I'm going to stick with this new product for a while. I'm tellin' ya, if you have been looking for something that just makes your skin feel soft and new and your pores more refined...try this product. And for $2.50 you can't go wrong!






  • I have an interview in 2 weeks with ProTalent w/ agent Jen Nagy. I'm very excited. They are a Philly based talent agent with a new location right here in the Lehigh Valley. There is more and more commercial, print, tv, and film being cast out of this area. I'm quite excited about meeting with Jen. I'm using the rest of this week to get better from this nasty bronchitis and then I'll be kicking it into high gear to prepare for this meeting. This could open a lot of doors for me here and Philly. I'm still on the hunt for a NYC agent but this is a very good start!
  • I'm still working on my one-woman show. Being a little under the weather gives me a chance to concentrate on the writing and research that goes into it. I've received some nice suggestions for songs and I'm taking the time while I'm on vocal rest to listen to all the songs I don't know so I can make informed decisions on whether or not I think they would fit into the show.
  • I'm still taking on new clients. Right now, I only have Monday and Tuesdays available for new clients.
  • I'll be offering an audition technique class in late November and in mid-January just in time for the Spring audition frenzy in Philly and NYC.
  • I'm working a lot at the restaurant and it's helping me fulfill my personal goals.
  • I'm starting to book more jewelry shows as well. Remember, I can always send you a catalog and you can show the book around and you can still earn free jewelry. I know this is a crazy busy time of year and not everyone can hostess a show in their home. For anyone interested, I'll be having an open house jewelry show at my home in early November to celebrate my FIFTH BIRTHDAY with Premier Designs. I'll be sending out an evite soon for that. :)
  • I'm soooooo excited that my godson's christening is coming up. With my break from auditioning I haven't been able to get into the city to see them. Mim has been gearing up for her Opera Recital with Opera for Humanity on November 5th. Unfortunately, I am not able to go because of work and it being the same weekend as my godson's christening.
  • Also, coming up is Working at Mystic Vision Players. Many of my dear friends will be in it and it's sure to be a great production. Some of the performers are: Kelly Brandt (who just finished playing the Fairy Godmother in R&H Cinderella), Letitia Townes, Khy Garner (my vocal coach), Howard Whitmore, and many others.
  • This Saturday I'm heading to Lancaster, PA on my only day off to get the crap scared outta me. Last year, I joined my friend Kelly Brandt and many other friends on a trip to Long Island to get the crap scared outta me and I'm back again this year for another round.
  • My niece Lizz is a freshman at my old high school and is carrying the Almeida torch as a member of the NBHS Whaler Marching Band. NB just held their home comp on October 9th and came in 2nd place with a score of 77. This is already 2 places higher than they finished at finals last year. I'm so happy they have new blood in there that cares about the success of the program. I was hoping to get home for a comp but working the weekends kinda prevents that from happening.

Quote of the week: "There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream." ~Author Unknown

Recipe of the week: I have received so many requests for this recipe that it only made sense to include it in my blog this week.

Baked Portabello Alfredo Mac & Cheez

Cheese Sauce
2 T flour
2 T Olivo (butter alternative)
1 block of white cheddar shredded (part skim)
1/2 c grated parmesan
1t onion powder (or if you like onions, saute and add to cheese sauce)
1t garlic powder
1t ground nutmeg
s & p
1c chicken stock (I use organic, low-sodium stock)

Other ingredients:
2 servings 1/2 box penne or rotini 4 servings an entire box
5 portabello caps (scrape out gills and remove stems)


Pasta: Boil water while you make cheese sauce. The pasta and sauce should be done at the same time if you time it right.

Sauce:
melt butter in sauce pan and add flour. Make sure flour is fully cooked. Add 1/2 the chicken stock and whisk in pan until smooth. you will see it's already getting thick. Add the cheddar cheese a little at a time. (I grate the cheese right over the pot and stir occasionally). Once all the cheese is added in, add the s & p, onion and garlic powder, and nutmeg. Stir well. Once it's all mixed add the grated parmesan cheese.

Remove from heat and set aside.

Mushrooms:

Slice evenly and saute in a pan with NO butter, oil, or liquids. You want a dry saute so the mushrooms get nutty and meaty flavored without getting soggy.

Put the cheese sauce back on the burner and bring the heat up. Add the other 1/2 c of stock and bring to a simmer. When the side start to bubble add the pasta to the mushrooms and add the cheese sauce. Stir well. Top it with a little more grated parmesan and stick it under the broiler until the top gets a little crispy.

ENJOY!

Video of the week: Inspirational and Amazing!



Kirsten Rani Almeida received her B.A. in Theater and Speech from Wagner College. For twelve years, Kirsten doubled as a professional fundraiser for a large non-profit arts organization and an actor, director, choreographer, and playwright. She has performed in more than forty shows all over the U.S. She spent four months touring the country with the Omaha Theater Company's production of 'The Little Engine that Could' as the Red Dress Doll. She performed nearly 80 performances in 36 states. In New York City, Kirsten was part of the cast for the award-winning 'Skin Deep' by Mary Lynn Dobson (Fringe Festival winner 2009) which has won top honors from the 2010 Samuel French Off-Off Broadway Short Play Festival and originated the role of Lavender Blue in the eerily funny 'Professor Von Awesome's Traveling Caravan of Cautionary Warnings.' Kirsten appeared in the U.S. premiere of 'Scandalous! A new musical based on the life of D.H. Lawrence' in New Orleans and appeared at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in the World Premiere musical 'The Butterfly Project' which raised money for children's cancer research. Other credits include Children of Eden (Mama Noah), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat(Narrator), Hello Dolly!(Minnie Fay), Beauty and the Beast(Silly Girl & Madame de la Grande Bouche), The Sound of Music(Mother Abbess), Annie(Star-to-Be), Oliver!(Widow Corney), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying(Rosemary), My Fair Lady(Featured Dancer), Promises, Promises!(Featured Dancer), Nunsense I & II(Sister Leo), Gypsy(Tessie Tura), Guys & Dolls(Featured Dancer), Back to the 80s(Debbie Cox), Seussical the Musical(Gertrude), Snoopy!(Sally Brown), Pippin(Featured dancer), Carousel, Godspell, Little Shop of Horrors(Chiffon), and many more.

In film/tv, Kirsten has appeared in the upcoming comedy 'Big Guns', 'Three Chris'', and filmed the independent short 'Westfield' with Clocktower Productions. She has also appeared in two episodes of 'The World's Most Astonishing News'.

She has also appeared as a guest artist with the Newark Boys Chorus and Triad Ensemble and the Spotlight Cabaret with Allentown Public Theater. She was a founding member of the Boonton Parks & Recreation Theatre Company for young performers where she not only directed and choreographed the shows for the company but also acted as lead fundraiser, costumer, lighting designer, marketing director as well as scenic and props designer. Kirsten also taught dance for the recreation department to children ages 7-12. Kirsten has also dabbled in play writing for children's theater. Her twisted version of "The Three Little Pigs" (a musical from the Big Bad Wolf's perspective) was produced at Playhouse 22 in East Brunswick, NJ.

Kirsten teaches drama classes at the Civic Theater in Allentown, PA to grades Pre-K through 4. Kirsten also offers an audition class to high school students which helps students audition confidently. Her effective teaching style is requested by groups in PA and NJ and NY.


Audio Samples

Musical Theater Demo


No comments:

Post a Comment