Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Halloween


Well, it's Halloween Weekend and I'm bored. I was off this week from work and I can't tell you how much it sucks to be off from work and not be able to do anything. I had an audition in NYC this week that ate up a chunk of change for the bus ticket to and from ($40). So it left the rest of the week up to my imagination. I worked on music of course and Mike and I ran some errands on his day off. I guess the most exciting thing to happen this week was the introduction of the Wii to our household.

Mike's parents gave it to us about a month ago but we didn't have the right hookup for the TV so we had to wait until we could buy one. So we did that on Monday and got it hooked up. I love it. In just 4 short days of Wii Fit I've lost 1lb. I think that's awesome. I love the Hula Hoop game. I feel like a complete idiot when I'm doing it but afterwards you can certainly feel what muscles it works. I've also started doing the Wii Yoga training. That is awesome. I'm adding 2 poses a day. I also tried the 'rhythm parade' which is like marching band. I'm a marching band geek and it's not right. The whistle is off the beat of the music and then they throw in these circle you have to hit on time which is also not on the beat and yet on a completely different rhythm from the whistle or the music. It's hard and I am very angry with it! ;)

I'm still battling this darn cold. It's back and forth from head to chest cold and now back to head but with some super massive post-nasal drip. I've tried a ton of natural remedies for it and it's not working. I'm frustrated. Post-nasal drip can really wreak havoc on the throat and as a singer that sucks. So I'm taking it easy.

Tomorrow is Halloween. Mike and I are going as a couple to a party in North Jersey. Mike's high school buddy, Bob and his wife, Suzanne are throwing a shindig. We never get to see them so we are heading up there for the night. We were supposed to head to MA this weekend for the first of two band finals for NBHS Marching Band but with money being tight plans changed.

We are going as Ned and Maude Flanders from the Simpsons. Now, since Maude is dead I'm going as Maude the angel. Mike thought for shits and giggles I should go as Zombie Maude but Ned and Maude are folks of God so I thought the angel would be more appropriate. The pictures I have of Maude show her in a hideous pink skirt, light pink sweater, and halo. So I headed over to the local thrift store and voila! I got everything I need for under $5. AWESOME. I'll be sure to take pictures and post them in next week's blog.

I also wanted to bring up this jackass in Arkansas. I'm thrilled that he is resigning. I am all for free speech but you have to know your words can come back and bite you in the ass. And sure enough. Not only will he not be on the board of ed anymore but he has gained hundreds of thousands of enemies. I think he was hoping to rally people against gays instead he rallied anyone with a brain against him. Epic fail!

This is a rather short blog this week. Please be safe this Halloween. Watch out for the little ones in the streets. Don't eat candy that looks tampered with. If someone gives you an apple as a healthy alternative keep it as a weapon when some punk tries to steal your candy bag. And please, OH GOD, please, don't drink and drive. But above all...have fun. Unleash your inner kid and have the time of your life.

Upcoming.....
Zephyr's baptism next week...Zephyr is my godson and he's totally cute! I haven't seen him in almost 2 months and I cannot wait!!!!!! He will be 5 months at his baptism. I'll be sure to post pictures (with his parents permission of course). Mim, his mom, has her debut opera recital this coming Friday, November 5th in association with Opera for Humanity.

I will NOT be performing in the November Spotlight Cabaret but will attend and sing a few ditties (depending on my vocal health) on November 4th. I'm hoping to perform their Christmas cabaret the first Thursday in December. Stay tuned.

I have hit a snag in my website that I'm hoping to solve in the next few weeks. I don't think November 8th is going to be a feasible date to get it to go live. Now, if I'm lucky, it'll be up and running by December 1st.

I have an interview for a customer service job in Allentown. This will be a 2nd job for me. Things have been really tight and I am really trying to pull myself out of this funk!

I'm still trying to build a client base of my coaching business but the economy is really kicking everyone's butt and as a result really kicking mine. Grrrrr.......

Well, I'm keeping positive and I know something amazing will happen soon!

Thanks for following!




Quote of the week:


"I've seen enough horror movies to know that any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly."~ Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

Recipe of the Week: Turkey Chili

Ingredients:

1lb ground lean turkey

1 can each black beans and kidney beans

1 large can crushed tomatoes

1 small can tomato paste

1 jalapeno pepper seeded and ribs removed diced finely

1/4 onion diced finely

2T garlic

2 T Chili Powder

1 T Cayenne Pepper

1 t paprika

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 bottle dark beer OR 1 1/2 c chicken or beef stock


First sweat the onions in some EVOO. When almost translucent add garlic and jalapenos. When cooked thru set aside.

In a crock pot on HIGH add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, spices, beer/stock and Worcestershire and stir well. Once all the spices are combined add the onion/garlic/pepper mix. (For extra heat add some hot sauce or hot salsa)

Cook this on HIGH for 1 hour. When you reach an hour, brown the ground turkey in a pan with salt & pepper. Add to crock pot mixture. Switch setting to LOW and cook one more hour.

Serve in a bowl and top with shredded cheddar and sour cream.

This is a mild chili. For added heat you can add extra jalapeno, chili seasoning, and cayenne and even some hot sauce. ENJOY!

Video of the Week: Enjoy this little Halloween video I found on YouTube.




Kirsten Rani Almeida received her B.A. in Theater and Speech from Wagner College. For twelve years, Kirsten doubled as a professional fundraiser for a large non-profit arts organization and an actor, director, choreographer, and playwright. She has performed in more than forty shows all over the U.S. She spent four months touring the country with the Omaha Theater Company's production of 'The Little Engine that Could' as the Red Dress Doll. She performed nearly 80 performances in 36 states. In New York City, Kirsten was part of the cast for the award-winning 'Skin Deep' by Mary Lynn Dobson (Fringe Festival winner 2009) which has won top honors from the 2010 Samuel French Off-Off Broadway Short Play Festival and originated the role of Lavender Blue in the eerily funny 'Professor Von Awesome's Traveling Caravan of Cautionary Warnings.' Kirsten appeared in the U.S. premiere of 'Scandalous! A new musical based on the life of D.H. Lawrence' in New Orleans and appeared at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in the World Premiere musical 'The Butterfly Project' which raised money for children's cancer research. Other credits include Children of Eden (Mama Noah), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat(Narrator), Hello Dolly!(Minnie Fay), Beauty and the Beast(Silly Girl & Madame de la Grande Bouche), The Sound of Music(Mother Abbess), Annie(Star-to-Be), Oliver!(Widow Corney), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying(Rosemary), My Fair Lady(Featured Dancer), Promises, Promises!(Featured Dancer), Nunsense I & II(Sister Leo), Gypsy(Tessie Tura), Guys & Dolls(Featured Dancer), Back to the 80s(Debbie Cox), Seussical the Musical(Gertrude), Snoopy!(Sally Brown), Pippin(Featured dancer), Carousel, Godspell, Little Shop of Horrors(Chiffon), and many more.

In film/tv, Kirsten has appeared in the upcoming comedy 'Big Guns', 'Three Chris'', and filmed the independent short 'Westfield' with Clocktower Productions. She has also appeared in two episodes of 'The World's Most Astonishing News'.

She has also appeared as a guest artist with the Newark Boys Chorus and Triad Ensemble and the Spotlight Cabaret with Allentown Public Theater. She was a founding member of the Boonton Parks & Recreation Theatre Company for young performers where she not only directed and choreographed the shows for the company but also acted as lead fundraiser, costumer, lighting designer, marketing director as well as scenic and props designer. Kirsten also taught dance for the recreation department to children ages 7-12. Kirsten has also dabbled in play writing for children's theater. Her twisted version of "The Three Little Pigs" (a musical from the Big Bad Wolf's perspective) was produced at Playhouse 22 in East Brunswick, NJ.

Kirsten teaches drama classes at the Civic Theater in Allentown, PA to grades Pre-K through 4. Kirsten also offers an audition class to high school students which helps students audition confidently. Her effective teaching style is requested by groups in PA and NJ and NY.


Audio Samples

Musical Theater Demo

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog,
    Just Dropped by to let you know you can Save Money on all Your Favourite Disney Movies now Available on Blu-Ray
    Shop Disney Movies Now

    ReplyDelete