Monday, September 20, 2010

Why don't you get a 'real' job?
















Does this sound familiar?

Friend: Hey! What are you up to?
Artist: Not much. It's really slow right now. Gotta find something quick, I have bills to pay.
Friend: Why don't you just get a real job?

This is the difference between a 9-5er and a professional performing artist. And for me, I understand the question from both sides. I WAS a 9-5er. And now, I understand what it's like to be scrambling for that next gig or next temp job to pay the bills. I'm there right now. And don't think for one moment I haven't contemplated going on a hiatus for a year to become debt free because I have...at least once a week. But what good would that do?

Would I get seen by casting directors and agents while I bag groceries at the Piggly Wiggly? NO!
Would I spend 9 hours at a callback making directors, producers, and choreographers go 'hmmm, who is this chic?" NO!
Would I be getting one step closer to achieving my dream? NO!

Look, I mean no offense if you are a bagger at the Piggly Wiggly....but I just can't do that anymore. I have been there, done that!

I currently work part-time at a cute little dinner theater in Allentown, PA that puts on super high quality shows but when ticket sales slack off what happens to the servers? You are not needed. When a server isn't needed, what do you think happens? RIGHT! We make no money.

I'm also an independent jeweler for Premier Designs Jewelry! I have been doing that for almost five years. It's a little slow right now but I know things will pick up...WHY? Our new promotion....that's why. Since receiving the info on this promotion, my calendar is starting to fill...so PLEASE CONTACT ME RIGHT AWAY to get me on your calendar! It's a fun night for everyone...and if you are the hostess you get LOADS AND LOADS of free jewelry!



But when I am not getting gigs, tips, or jewelry shows, I don't let it get me down. Why? Because I know I have services to offer the world that can help me out financially, help the business of ME grow, and continue to enrich my life.
What are they? I'm glad you asked!

Some of you know me very well and know that I've spent the last 10-12 years working with and teaching children ages 4-high school all about the world of theater. I help children dance, sing, and act. I get really frustrated at the lack of respect for the arts in our schools. So my soap box is starting children's theaters, teaching at youth theater schools, writing children's plays, performing for 10s of thousands of children across the country. I believe in the arts.

With all the inquiries I've been getting from parents of current and former students asking if I offer private acting & singing lessons. Guess what? I DO! I offer private coachings to children ages 7 - 12, teens ages 13-18, and adults ages 19+ in the Lehigh Valley PA area, Central and Western NJ, and NYC.

When I was in NYC during my tour visiting Mim and Jay, Mim sat me down and said "It's a no brainer, Kirsten." She was right. I have so much to offer our those who are interested in learning about the arts, are involved in the arts but want to take it to the next level, those wishing to audition for college for a degree in the arts, and especially those looking to break into the industry but don't know where to start. I can help!

I can also help with:

  • special skill enhancement.
  • auditioning prep for a show that requires special dance skills but they've never taken a dance class? I have 32 years dance experience in tap, jazz, ballet, modern, lyrical, pointe, ballroom, hip-hop, and musical theater dance.
  • repertoire building for musical theater performers
  • college audition prep (including songs & monologues)
  • style makeovers
  • hair and make-up consulting
  • interview skills
  • resources that every actor should have
  • and most importantly how to make the most of your career

Please contact me at KirstenAlmeida@aol.com for pricing. I'm looking forward to creating a professional working relationship with you.



Kirsten Rani Almeida received her B.A. in Theater and Speech from Wagner College. For twelve years, Kirsten doubled as a professional fundraiser for a large non-profit arts organization and an actor, director, choreographer, and playwright. She has performed in more than forty shows all over the U.S. She spent four months touring the country with the Omaha Theater Company's production of 'The Little Engine that Could' as the Red Dress Doll. She performed nearly 80 performances in 36 states. In New York City, Kirsten was part of the cast for the award-winning 'Skin Deep' which has won top honors from the 2010 Samuel French Off-Off Broadway Short Play Festival and originated the role of Lavender Blue in the eerily funny 'Professor Von Awesome's Traveling Caravan of Cautionary Warnings.' Kirsten appeared in the U.S. premiere of 'Scandalous! A new musical based on the life of D.H. Lawrence' in New Orleans and appeared at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in the World Premiere musical 'The Butterfly Project' which raised money for children's cancer research. Other credits include Children of Eden (Mama Noah), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat(Narrator), Hello Dolly!(Minnie Fay), Beauty and the Beast(Silly Girl & Madame de la Grande Bouche), The Sound of Music(Mother Abbess), Annie(Star-to-Be), Oliver!(Widow Corney), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying(Rosemary), My Fair Lady(Featured Dancer), Promises, Promises!(Featured Dancer), Nunsense I & II(Sister Leo), Gypsy(Tessie Tura), Guys & Dolls(Featured Dancer), Back to the 80s(Debbie Cox), Seussical the Musical(Gertrude), Snoopy!(Sally Brown), Pippin(Featured dancer), Carousel, Godspell, Little Shop of Horrors(Chiffon), and many more. She has also appeared as a guest artist with the Newark Boys Chorus and Triad Ensemble and the Spotlight Cabaret with Allentown Public Theater. She was a founding member of the Boonton Parks & Recreation Theatre Company for young performers where she not only directed and choreographed the shows for the company but also acted as lead fundraiser, costumer, lighting designer, marketing director as well as scenic and props designer. Kirsten also taught dance for the recreation department to children ages 7-12. Kirsten has also dabbled in play writing for children's theater. Her twisted version of "The Three Little Pigs" (a musical from the Big Bad Wolf's perspective) was produced at Playhouse 22 in East Brunswick, NJ. Kirsten teaches drama classes at the Civic Theater in Allentown, PA to grades Pre-K through 4. Kirsten also offers an audition class to high school students which helps students audition confidently. Her effective teaching style is requested by groups in PA and NJ and NY.

Quote of the week: "He who has hope has everything."~Arabian Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment